This afternoon at 3 PM is the trade deadline. Like car dealers, many GM's are on the phone trying to move last years models and clear the floor for the offseason... Or 2010.
Word is the Magic are going to stay where they are. According to the Orlando Sentinel:
[Otis]Smith has said as late as Tuesday night that he doesn't expect to make a move, but he will listen.
"I know who our team is. I know what we have today," Smith said."But you always have to listen and hear what's out there for you."
SOP (standard operating procedure) for Mr. Smith, but given that he has clearly said previously that resigning Hedo is a top priority in the offseason, it is hard to see a move that could drastically improve the current roster without jeopardizing the potential to get a fair Turk deal done.
But hey, there are plenty of ways for you, the Magic fan, to waste your Thursday. But for the most wasteful method, here is how you do it:
- Pretend that you are Otis and find a way to ship out Cook, Foyle, Battie, and Pat Garrity (?) for Chris Bosh over on ESPN's trade machine.
- Go to a message board, like this one, or this one, and post your trade idea. Make sure you say something like, "Otis should do this," or "it's fair for both sides."
- When someone let's you know that this is the worst trade ever, that it makes no sense for one or both teams involved, and that being a GM is much more complex and harder than you can imagine, call them an idiot.
- When 3PM passes and Orlando doesn't make the blockbuster move to pick up that overrated hack that you think would make us the best team in the league (see Ron Artest), ramble on about how Otis is an idiot and he needs to be fired and blah blah blah.
- Go to work so you aren't late for your shift at Arby's.